Thursday 28 May 2015

Going through the change

No, not THAT change, of course. It's all happening, my life in Luxembourg officially ended last Saturday, everything is boxed up and stored away. I have said my tearful goodbyes and I'm now getting all my ducks in a row for my departure to Iceland on Tuesday. Every so often, I remember yet another contract that needs to be cancelled (today it was TV) or yet another thing I need to take care of and somehow shove into my suitcase. Today, it was a criminal record, an international birth certificate and a certificate that I am unmarried. Unfortunately, nobody seem to be in charge of me. I am a German citizen who is moving from one country other than Germany to another country that is not Germany while not married, surely I cannot be the only one or even the first? Birth certificate and criminal record were ok to come by, but this marital status thing proves to be a bit of a pain. Thankfully, that one's not urgent, so I can take care of it once I have arrived.

So here I am, in my hometown, juggling friends and family while not having enough time for either (plus I already miss having my own place) and struggling with the authorities. Originally, I had planned this as vacation time before starting my new job, but I'll file that one away under Wishful Thinking.

I miss my friends in Lux who gave me my favourite Kindle as a farewell gift (YAY!!!!!!!) and I'm looking forward to ending this Limbo period and diving into a new routine of guests, nature and horses. And guests. And nature. And horses.

I'm carefully optimistic about the apartment we have found and on which we seem to be closing the deal. As soon as this is done and I have a kennitala (a kind of ID number) I can get internet, which is the deciding factor on the date Frankenspouse will be able to come over. If I don't manage right away, it'll be another 3 weeks before he can take some time off again to drive all the way from Germany over Denmark to Iceland, so I'll bend over backwards to make sure he can come earlier than that.

Time is tight these days, so I'll keep it short but I hope to be back with more stories soon and I certainly owe you a few more A Taste of Iceland posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment