Friday 15 May 2015

A Taste of Iceland - Draumur and family

I love chocolate. I love licorice. Never in my life would I have thought that these two love each other. During my first trip to Iceland, my friend and I bought a chocolate bar to test the local "cuisine". To my utter delight, I found it filled with licorice. I looooooooooooooooove licorice! It was then and there that I lost my heart to Iceland (the way to the heart is through the stomach, after all). What a wonderful, wonderful country! Intrigued, we went to a shop and bought all kinds of chocolate bars to stock up before we went up north. They were full of wonderful surprises. We had chocolate filled with licorice, licorice filled with chocolate, gooey licorice chocolate caramel, chocolatey gooey caramel licorice, caramelly licorice chocolate goo... I'm starting to hyperventilate, so I'll spare you further details, before I type myself in a frenzy.
Just know that the combination, as strange as it may sound, is simply wonderful. and you don't just get it in chocolate bars and candy, you get it in ice cream (saving the details on this one for another Taste of Iceland post), cake and who know where else....

Some aspects of the Icelandic cuisine are acquired tastes, to put it nicely, but chocolate and licorice is a most wonderful discovery for many people, including some who don't care much for chocolate and positively dislike licorice.

My favourites to date would be Draumur, Þristur (that's a th in the front) and the sublime, unparalleled Lakkrís Dúndur, in reverse order below:


Draumur (Dream, nomen est omen) is humble, chocolate-covered licorice, very straightforward and fantastic in its simplicity.
Þristur is similar to a small Mars bar, only with small, innocent bits of licorice as a welcome, unexpected surprise.
Lakkrís Dúndur has the same two straps of simple licorice as Draumur, surrounded by rise crispies and covered in a thin layer of milk chocolate to create utter magic.

A little less than three weeks to go, before we are reunited, my loves!

2 comments:

  1. I get the feeling that this licorice-chocolate marriage might just make up for the higher alcohol prices :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shushhhhh, if we speak about it in public, the might put insane taxes on candy as well. Not sure I'd survive that.

    ReplyDelete