Tuesday 9 June 2015

Armour of pain

Reykjadalur - picture courtesy of Google

I have made it.
I arrived on Wednesday last week and started working on Thursday. I have been on a horse for at least four hours every day, not to speak of sattling around 80 horses every morning (the first 10 are ok, after that your arms get really heavy), shovelling metric tons of horse poop, mucking boxes and all the other joys of stable work. My body, which is used to siting all day and some mild exercise every now and then, is wrapping itself in protective layers of pain. There is the superficial pain of bruises and stubbed toes as well as the deeper pain of sore muscles and knots in areas where I should have relaxed more, but decided to tense up instead. My behind that had't been on a horse in around 2 months, was screaming for the first few days. 

But, it is already getting better. While the pain in my arms didn't let me sleep last night, legs and bottom, always my strongest area, are adjusting to physical labour and don't scream quite as loud as in  the beginning. I also no longer pass out around 8 pm, but can last a bit longer. So far, I have been on 6 short tours and 2 daytours and while I haven't memorized the routes yet, I start to recognise some waypoints. The daytours lead to this amazing valley in the mountains with hot springs and a warm river the guests can bathe in, but the road there is steep and narrow and unfortunately, I am not indifferent to heights. Hopefully, this will get easier with practice. I will hike it on foot one one of my off days, maybe that will ease my nerves a bit. I can't go panicking after all, I need to exude confidence and competence *insert giggle here*.

I'm also starting to sport the typical guide's tan all my colleagues are wearing as well, meaning the lower two thirds of my face are pretty burned (despite generous application of LPF 50+) whereas my forehead and neck, respectively covered by helmet and buff, remain gostly white. The weather ranges from beautiful, sunny and warm to horizontal rain and strong wind, leaving you soaked after half an hour on horseback and that is with heavy duty rain gear. 
Welcome to Iceland. What did I get myself into? 

3 comments:

  1. Starting to regret already? No? Didn't think so. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I guess that answers my question wether you have caught up with your sore muscles yet. Beautiful picture though.

    ReplyDelete